Ardglass Lass was the first St Ayle’s Skiff to be built and launched on the island of Ireland. She is named after her town of origin, which derives its name from the Gaelic for “Green Height”.
The boat building premises in the harbour, provided by Henderson Group, was opened to the public so that they could see every stage of the build. It was formerly used to sell fresh fish and other provisions and the town welcomed its reopening and re-use. The Ardglass Lass will continue to be housed there as a focal point for maritime activities and events.
Young and old were involved in the team and they also put on an extensive display of the area’s great maritime traditions.
“This project has reawakened the enthusiasm for not only the building of this skiff but perhaps,to build even more”.
Ardglass is a major fishing port with a long history of trade and commerce. Boats can use Ardglass at all states of the tide, making it popular with yachts as well as fishing vessels. There is now a marina with berths for 80 boats.
Ardglass community have established the Ardglass Boat Building Association 'ABBA'. If interested in boat building, maintenance or rowing please contact William Mulhall on email@example.com or call him on 028 4484 1301